Thursday, October 29, 2009

Iron Sharpens Iron

I had lunch today with a dear friend who never ceases to challenge me. We discuss issues ranging from politics to theology, grammar, current events, literature, scientific discoveries, and everything else in between. She is also one of my most dependable sound boards for paper ideas. So, naturally, after conversing with her about my senior seminar paper, I returned to my research carrel and wrote furiously for several minutes. (May I humbly suggest that every undergrad lit major find such a friend who stretches you beyond your mental comfort zone? Actually, I think every breathing body should do so.)

As a result of our conversation, my research question has been further refined (yet expanded at the same time). Writing in the 1920's, Liviu Rebreanu was influenced not only by the current national events but also by the French intelligentsia. Naturally, Western literary innovations, fashion trends, gossip, productions, as well as political and economic concerns, would have been the topic of Romanian bourgeoisie's dinner conversations, as they spent much of their summer touring Europe (especially France). It is not unreasonable to suppose that, aware of the feminist unrest in France, Rebreanu was concerned such anti-patriarchal sentiments would spread to Romania as well. Perhaps Nadina, a female character who ineffectually dares to defy patriarchy and meets her demise at the hands of lustful men, represents Rebreanu's public condemnation of such feminist aspirations.

Of course, I would need to establish several important points to defend such a reading:
1. The Romanian public was aware of French politics. (historical/cultural)
2. Liviu Rebreanu, specifically, was aware of the feminist movement in France. (biographical)
3. Rebreanu condemned the feminist movement. (biographical)
4. Feminist sympathizers had a presence (however small) in Romania. (historical/cultural)
5. Nadina's relationship with/view of her body was atypical of female Romanians. (cultural)
6. Nadina's connection with her body represents a resistance to patriarchal dominance. (theoretical)

I'm sure there's more I need to prove, but the above statements provide a starting point for more specific research. I've been skimming articles on Rebreanu, in general, most of them unhelpful. But now I can tackle this question from different points.

Any ideas for further development? I'm open to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment