Thursday, September 3, 2009

Two down... two more to go!

I've handed in the History of Romanian Literature paper yesterday, which was a great relief after toying with it for so long. Just a heads' up on what's left:

* I'm developing my annotated bibliography for the analytical paper. I've found several resources on Mihail Sadoveanu and his works, but not very many papers on The Hatchet, so I don't know if critics not interested or not publishing or what...
* I'm working on a marxist reading of Barefoot, which will be my third short paper. The novel is a good read though difficult to stomach at times (perhaps because I visualize and internalize much of what I read). This is the first time I'm using marx to interpret a text, so it will definitely be a growing experience.
* I'm also checking out books on women's conditions in Romania and also feminists' perspectives on women's communities in general to prepare for the final paper. I'm excited about exploring Vitoria Lipan in more detail and discovering some of the finer details of her character. I hope to have this final paper finished by the end of September.

All this reading and research is really helping me focus in on what I would like to do for my senior seminar next spring. I already mentioned that I would like to analyze The Uprising, but the Lit Theory class I'm taking currently is opening a whole new array of possibilities as far as applicable interpretations. So though I know the novel, I don't know which angle I'll adopt. But that piece will fall into place later. Right now, it's just good to scout the land so to speak and see which critics are interested in Romanian novels. Perhaps I may even contact them. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment